Friday 17 April 2015

Appliqué scarf

Appliqué:  [Pronunciation: ap-li-kay]   (n.) ornamentation, as a cutout design, that is sewn on to or otherwise applied to a piece of material (Source: OED online. Oxford University Press, March 2015. Web. 17 April 2015)

Now I am a bit of a scarf fan...so making another scarf was inevitable really...
 
 Photo by Sarah Ryan

So....I just happened to buy 50cm of cheesecloth, and 20cm of a white lace fabric.


I cut the cheesecloth into two 25cm strips and joined them with a french seam so that there would be no raw edges showing.
                                    Photo by Sarah Ryan                                               Photo by Sarah Ryan

Then I cut out some of the different sections of the lace.

  
                                     Photo by Sarah Ryan                                             Photo by Sarah Ryan 

I decided I'd put some lace on each end of the scarf but choosing which little sections of lace to use and placing them in an arrangement that I was happy with took a bit of time and trialling.

I hand stitched each section on, picking up about two threads from the cheesecloth for each stitch. That way, the stitching was hardly visible on the reverse side. 
                                       Photo by Sarah Ryan                                          Photo by Sarah Ryan 

I used a fine zigzag on the sewing machine to hem the sides. To get the slightly fluted edges on the hems at each end, I stretched out the crinkles in the fabric while I was zig-zagging.        
 
                              Photo by Sarah Ryan                                                            Photo by Sarah Ryan

This sort of lace would also appliqué well to denim shorts or the pockets of jeans for example....



1 comment:

  1. Very impressed - the scarf looks lovely and seems simple enough to have a go at. Well done!

    ReplyDelete