Thursday 11 February 2016

Hearts for Valentines

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I've worn hearts every day this week!
Last night I thought I'd valentine up a little cardy I'd snapped up at an Op Shop with a little needle felting.
  
Needle felting involves using a special needle that has no eye, and tiny little barbs on the pointy end to punch through the layers of fibres and matt them together.
You can get special felting tools with 5 needles all attached in a holder, which makes the process 5 times as quick! There's also a version that looks like a sewing machine that also does the same process: very quick and easy. But for this little task, the single needle worked fine.
First of all I got some pink wool, lay it in the heart shape, and put a thick foam sponge underneath because if you stab yourself with the needle, IT REALLY HURTS!!!
  
After punching away at the wool, which embeds it in the cardy fabric, I got some pink roving (soft, woollen fibres that are combed and carded ready to be woven into yarn) and lay those in the middle section. Then I punched away to my heart's content (ha!), filling in any little gaps as necessary. 
Voila, one suitably decorated cardy!

And all, while I was watching a bit of my favourite telly trash, First Dates, how appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment