Wednesday 24 June 2015

Fabric storage basket using recycled denim

A quick and interesting way to use an old pair of jeans - and a cheap source of fabric.
Photo by Sarah Ryan
Start with an old pair of jeans and cut off a portion off the bottom.
I trimmed off the bottom seam too as it was worn and it won't be so thick for sewing. Then I cut out a front and back of contrast fabric the same height (but a couple of cms wider to allow for the seam).
 
Photo by Sarah Ryan                             Photo by Sarah Ryan
Turned inside out, I sewed the bottom seam of the denim rectangle, then one side and the bottom of the two contrast fabric pieces (right sides together). The other side I stitched at the top and bottom and left a gap in the middle (between the arrows) so that I'd be able to turn it through later. I squashed the corners flat and stitched across them to give the basket a base.
 
Photo by Sarah Ryan                                        Photo by Sarah Ryan
I turned the lining through and tucked it into the middle of the denim so that the tops were level and the right sides were together. After pinning the tops together, I stitched right around and then turned it through in the gap I'd left in the lining and then I stitched that closed too.
  
Photo by Sarah Ryan                                    Photo by Sarah Ryan
And there it is, a quick and easy little storage basket which would be nice for crafty bits or in the office or bathroom. It would also be nice made with a Christmas contrast fabric filled with cellophane-wrapped treats as a Christmas gift. 





No comments:

Post a Comment