Saturday 13 June 2015

Bag: re-using a woollen blanket

I love the old check woollen blankets, and I have been stashing a few. Last week, I discovered that my every-day bag was disintegrating, and new ones that I looked at were so expensive! So I got to, and decided to put one of my old blankets to good use (this one I'd picked up for $2 at an Op Shop in the doggy blanket section).
Photo by Sarah Ryan
So I made a template from my old bag, and cut out two on the bias (diagonally), and two from a contrast fabric for the lining. Then I added an extra piece to make an inside pocket. 

 
          Photo by Sarah Ryan                                          Photo by Sarah Ryan    
It was simply a matter of sewing around the outside of the bag part first and then the lining. I left a gap in the lining so that I'd be able to turn it right way out later when I'd sewn the top around. I attached a strap which was some belting that I bought from Spotlight.   
  
   Photo by Sarah Ryan                                                 Photo by Sarah Ryan   
I had the the bag part still inside out and pinned the strap in place. Then I pinned in the lining (right way out) so that the two right sides were facing each other and the strap was tucked between. I sewed right around the top, turned it right way out, and top-stitched to allow it to sit nicely with the lining staying on the inside. I added a magnetic closure (and put a bit of vinyl behind to give some strength when pulling it open.
 
     Photo by Sarah Ryan                                          Photo by Sarah Ryan    
Then I sewed on a decoration to the front just to add a bit of interest. It was from a pretty necklace that was given to me but I hadn't worn much.
 
Photo by Sarah Ryan
One bag ready to go!
Photo by Sarah Ryan




No comments:

Post a Comment