Monday 3 April 2017

Raspberry curd

And back to the sweet stuff!

Everyone's heard of lemon curd but it was in a delicious magazine late last year, that I first came upon a recipe for raspberry curd in a "Raspberry Curd Crepe Layer Cake", originally a Stephanie Alexander recipe.

So I made the whole shebang as I'd seen crepe layer cakes around the place over the last few years, and they always looked fantastic and this one looked pretty good too.
But I did wonder what the texture of a crepe layer cake would be like. Now a nice hot crepe is great, but layered cold in a cake?...well funnily, it was just as I imagined. Not soft and melt in the mouth like a sponge, not crunchy and textural like a meringue...just kind of rubbery like a cold crepe...

BUT the raspberry curd was GOOD! (And the raspberry jelly topping and cream layers were good).
So I made the curd again. And made it with the kids at school - and they thought it was good. And mixed it with cream and that was good too.
So I'm definitely a fan of the raspberry curd. And the recipe is easy.
     375g raspberries (works with either fresh or frozen), pureed and sieved
     3 gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water, squeezed, then dissolved in 1 Tb boiling water
     6 egg yolks
     2/3 C white sugar
     100g unsalted butter, softened
The egg yolks and sugar are beaten then added into a saucepan with the raspberry puree and butter, then it's stirred over a medium-low heat until simmering point is just reached. Strain again and pour into sterilised jars.

I've stirred it into natural yoghurt and had it with berries and mixed it with cream on mini meringues. And I'm looking forward to trying it in sweet shortcrust tartlets with a little spoonful of cream on top. And I might just make another layer cake...but not with crepes!


No comments:

Post a Comment