Wednesday 30 December 2015

A very berry dessert...

I had a bit of time up my sleeve and a family dinner. And some raspberries, white chocolate and cream...
I also have two amazing dessert books...The New Patissiers (Olivier Dupon) and Sweet Studio (Darren Purchese) which have incredible desserts that all have many components. And due to having the morning free, I just kept making more layers! I based my layers on ingredients I wanted to use and adapted recipe components from within the two books.


  • First up I quickly cooked the raspberries with a little sugar and water, then pureed them to remove the seeds. I measured the liquid (200ml) and used 3 tsp gelatine to make a jelly. I lined a cake tin with glad bake, poured in the jelly and put it in the freezer to set and harden. 
  • For the base I made a meringue (80g egg white, 110g sugar) with 70g almond meal, 15g cornflour, 25g melted butter and the rind of a lemon and baked until set and golden.
  • I put the base in a spring form tin, and poured in the raspberry and white chocolate mousse (100g heated sweetened raspberry puree and 3 softened gelatine leaves added and then 185g white chocolate stirred in until melted and smooth. This was then mixed into 340g whipped cream). 
  • Then I got the jelly out of the freezer and out of the tin and placed it on top of the mousse. I pressed it down so that the top of the mousse was level with the top of the jelly.
  • Then I made a blackberry yoghurt panna cotta layer (200g fruit puree, 4 sheets gelatine, 100g natural yoghurt, 100 g whipped cream) -  a gorgeous pink colour!
  • Finally I made an "Almond Croquant" layer - a bit like a brandy snap - (45g butter, 55g icing sugar creamed together and then 15g plain flour stirred in, spread onto baking paper and sprinkled with about 20g flaked almonds and baked). It made a caramelized crunchy layer that complemented it really well.
  • After I removed it from the spring form tin, I placed wedges of Almond Croquant on top so that the mousse and jelly layers wouldn't squash when cutting through it.
It turned out well - none of the layers were rubbery (as in too much gelatine) and it was a hit at the family meal. Hooray for Christmas dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment